Are you looking to join a talented, diverse team, focused on a life-changing mission, at one of Europe’s fastest-growing tech startups? If yes, then you are in the right place!
We’ve recently been ranked number five in Startups100 and named as one of the Top 50 Startups to work for in 2020.
At Elder, our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We are a team on a mission to fundamentally change what it means to grow old.
We think a strong team is built through difference. From Mexico City to Manchester, Stockholm to Stirling, Hong Kong to Hull, Elders come from all over the UK and the world.
It matters that you’re unique. It matters that you’re great at what you do. And, obviously, it matters how much you care about what we do.
About the role
The role of the technology team at Elder is to set Elder apart from the rest with meaningful use of technology - our technology platform is the engine that powers the rest of the business. We build web applications that connect families and carers with each other and Elder. We use data, algorithms, and machine learning to find the right carer to look after each of our customers. In 2021, we’ll continue our journey towards becoming the UK’s leading live-in care provider and do even more to deliver a best in class service.
We’re currently looking for a talented Kotlin/Java backend engineer to join the team as a backend engineer. You’ll be a part of our larger engineering function, working with other backend and frontend developers to build new functionality on the platform that allows Elder to connect families with carers and arrange live-in care at scale across the whole country.
Having started on Java and Spring, we have since moved to Kotlin for all new development and are doing things a bit differently with the majority of our microservices following a CQRS architecture with event sourcing. All of our systems are on Kubernetes and using Google Cloud technologies.
We encourage collaboration and our engineers are involved in the full development lifecycle, from the brainstorming of what’s possible to see how the products are being used by our end users. This is a great opportunity for a backend engineer interested in building reliable and scalable smart platforms that solve real-world problems and to do more than simply working off fully formed ideas in Jira.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Working closely with product managers, front-end engineers, and directly with the wider business to shape technology-powered solutions
- Close collaboration within the backend engineering team, in code reviews, pair programming, knowledge sharing sessions and other activities to maintain best practices and consistency across the platform
- Implementing, testing, and releasing new functionality across Elder’s backend systems with focus on the algorithms that match our customers with carers, and system integrations
- Collaborating with frontend engineers in building new APIs and data contracts to support new functionality
- Solid professional experience working on backend platforms following modern architectures such as microservices or serverless
- Strong fundamentals of Java development practices. You’ve either worked with Java before and are now keen to move into Kotlin development or have experience with Kotlin itself
- Good communication and collaboration skills, comfortable working directly with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Having worked with CQRS/event sourcing in the past is a bonus, but not a requirement - but you’re likely already in favour of functional-style programming patterns
- A good grasp of principles behind building reliable and scalable systems, including redundancy, time complexity, and memory management
- An active interest in staying up-to-date with new technology, new frameworks, new languages and other developments
- A passion for working collaboratively to solve meaningful real-world problems with technology, not just writing code!
We’re a service business and we know that without the best people, we cannot build the best company which is why we treat our team very well. We can offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options (We are post-series B & backed by some of the best VC’s in Europe)
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Hybrid office/remote flexible work arrangements
- Mental Health Support (Spill)
- E-learning platform (Udemy)
- Sponsored quarterly team and company socials
- Mentoring and coaching programmes to help you achieve your personal and career goals
- Macbook + any particular extras you require
- Cycle to work scheme
- AND a genuine opportunity to be a very key part of a high growth business
Do something you genuinely care about. Join a diverse team of skilled, passionate and progressive people who like to get on with each other. Work at one of Europe’s fastest-growing scale-up. Apply today.
Elderly care represents one of society’s greatest challenges. Are you ready to be part of the solution? Apply today.
Elder recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status.